What you will need:
- 5 brands of microwave popcorn (one bag from each brand, of same weight and flavor as other 4 brands)
- 2 quart measuring cup
- Microwave oven
Here’s what you do:
- Draw out a data chart to record your final results. Your control variables will be Brands 1-5. Your results will include Volume, Number of Unpopped Kernels, and Popped Kernel Size.
- Assign a number to each of the 5 brands.
- Pop brand 1 accordingly to package directions.
- Measure the amount of popcorn popped and record it.
- Count the number of unpopped kernels and record them.
- Measure the size of one popped kernel according to the following scale:Large= more than 3/4″
Medium= 1/2″ to 3/4″
Small= less than 1/2″
- Repeat steps 3-6 for each of the remaining 4 brands. Record all of your results on the chart.
Now What Do We Know?
- Which brand had the most popped corn?
- Which brand had fewer unpopped kernels?
- Which brand had the largest pieces of popcorn?